Monday, January 16, 2017

Response to R1 Readings

Synesthesia

I don't think I have this condition to the extent that the page describes, but I can definitely relate to the associations between senses. When I listen to music, I often think of it as blue, red, brown or green. This has little to do with the mood of the music, but different instruments literally sound certain colors to me. For example, a light, arpeggiated synthesizer, (like from the Tron Legacy Soundtrack) sounds blue, while a harsh electric guitar sounds red. However, I am aware that my color associations may have to do with something other than sound, alone. For example, Tron incorporates a lot of blue in its color scheme, so the instrumentation may just remind me of the colors of the film.

I can see how this condition may be a hinderance, but I can also see how this can be a blessing, especially for artists and other creative thinkers.

Cymatics TED Talk

The first thing that struck me about Cymatics was the long history behind the study of it. I find it so interesting how certain frequencies create specific shapes when the vibrations are applied to certain objects. Other than being something cool to look at, I really wonder what the great significance of cymatics is. Evan Grant answers this well as he says this is a reminder that sound indeed has form. Then, he goes a step further in suggesting that cymatics had a role to play in the formation of the entire universe. Wow!

Daniel Tammet TED Talk

This TED talk opens with a bang. I am instantly intrigued from Daniel Tammet's introduction of himself as a high functioning autistic savant. Tammet's talk is also intriguing as he argues that perception is the primary influence of our knowledge. Using himself as an example was cool to see, as he displayed his paintings of how he sees numbers. Personally, I found his painting of Pi to be exceptionally beautiful. His theory on the evolution of language relating to sound is also interesting, and an easy sell to me personally.

Overall Reaction

Overall, I have been introduced to some new ideas through these discussions. I was not formerly aware of these conditions. Now, I am interested in learning more, especially related to filmmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment